Report Request

To request a copy of any report you will need to fill out the request completely and bring it to the Sheriff's Department-
  • Types of reports available- Accident, Incident, or Animal Control
  • Cost is $20 per report (flat rate) paid at pick up. Please bring exact change if paying cash or a money order for payment. All credit card transactions have an added fee of 2.2% + a $1.00 convenience fee, per WVIPay.
  • Please specify at time of request if you would like any available photos, there is an additional $15 fee for the photo request.
  • BCSD reserves the right to redact particular details on any report. Certain ongoing investigation reports will not be released, nor will things of a criminal nature. 
  • Please note that each case is unique, completion timeframes vary. 
  • Freedom of Information Policy

Call 304-267-7000 x7213 or email to schedule an inspection.CPS Badge


Adults are able to be fingerprinted at the Sheriff's Department without making an appointment
  • Hours: Wednesdays 11am-1pm and Saturdays 9am-11am
  • Fingerprinting cost is $5 per card. Please bring exact change if paying cash or a money order for payment. All credit card transactions have an added fee of 2.2% + a $1.00 convenience fee, per WVIPay.
  • A valid photo ID is required to have fingerprints taken.
  • Kids ID program scheduled by appointment (groups)

VIN Verifications

To request a VIN verification you will need come to the Sheriff's Department first-

  • Verifications are done Monday - Friday, between 8AM-4PM 
  • VIN verifications are a charge of $5 per VIN form. Please bring exact change if paying cash or a money order for payment. All credit card transactions have an added fee of 2.2% + a $1.00 convenience fee, per WVIPay.
  • Sheriff's Department clerk will verify all contact and location information, give a estimated time frame for the verification and collect fees.
  • Once owner has returned to their residence please call to have first available deputy dispatched. 

Question marks

Did you know the Sheriff is the Chief Tax Collector for Berkeley County?  

Follow this link for more information on personal and property taxes!

No Trespassing

To file a No Trespass Order-
  • Once the form is completed it can be issued to the person in one of three ways- Certified Mail, Process Server, Uninterested/Credible Person
  • Complete the form in triplicate (one copy each- property owner, the one served, and the BCSD)
  • Bring the completed form with proof of receipt to be filed in BCSD. The order will remain on file one year and has to be on file to be honored/enforced. 
  • There is no charge from the BCSD for this filing. 

Patrol Request

To request a deputy patrol please come to the Sheriff's Department or call 304-267-7000.
  • Sheriff's Department clerks will gather the information required: contact information, reason for the request, the location, best times for the patrol, etc.
  • An electronic call record is then created for distribution to shift supervisors to assign and perform.
  • There is no form or charge for patrol requests. Please keep in mind these are on a case-by-case basis due to the variety of reasons for patrol presence.

CHL Permits

Concealed Handgun Licenses or "CHL" are issued by the Sheriff's Tax Office. As a Constitutional carry state these licenses are not required by law in the state of West Virginia however, they are a means of reciprocity to those states that recognize WV licenses. Fees for these licenses are set by the state. Residents who are not honorably discharged veterans of the armed forces of the United States must pay a filing fee of $25 when submitting their application. Effective July 6th 2021 being a resident of West Virginia is no longer a requirement to obtain our CHL. Non-residents will pay an application fee of $100. The fees for Honorably Discharged veterans of the U.S. armed forces and certain honorably retired law enforcement officers are waived for residents only and required documentation. All fees are to be paid by a check or money order only. CHL's are issued for five years. To view the details on reciprocity please click here. If you have any questions about this process, please reach out to the Sheriff's Tax Office at (304) 264-1982. Requirements to obtain a CHL as listed below:
  • completed notarized application (with full name, date of birth, social security number, physical description, location of birth and county of citizenship)
  • state or federally issued photo identification showing residence
  • applicant must be 21 years of age (WV residents are able to apply for a provisional license ($30 fee) between 18-21)
  • applicant is not addicted to alcohol, a controlled substance, or a drug
  • applicant has not had 2 or more DUI/DWI convictions or residential/court-ordered treatment for alcoholism/alcohol detox/drug treatment within 3 years
  • applicant has no convicted felony charges
  • applicant has no convicted misdemeanor charges in the past 5 years
  • applicant not currently under indictment
  • applicant has not been adjudicated to be mentally incompetent or voluntarily committed to a mental institution
  • applicant is not prohibited from receiving, possessing, or transporting a firearm
  • applicant has met minimum training course requirements to qualify for handling and firing a weapon (this includes live fire of ammunition)
  • applicant authorizes the Berkeley County Sheriff or designee to conduct and investigation related to the application (this includes a nationwide criminal background check)


  • A list of the ordinances for our area can be found here!