- Independent Agencies
- Historic Landmarks
Cool Springs House
You may be surprised to know that Morgantown, West Virginia has a very strong connection to Berkeley County.
The fifth son of Colonel Morgan Morgan of Torytown, in the Bunker Hill area of Berkeley County, was Zackquill Morgan (1735-1795). He served honorably in the French and Indian War while living in what would become Berkeley County.
His father, Colonel Morgan, deeded 200 acres to him in 1761. Upon this land he built a native limestone house known as “Cool Spring.” In 1768, Zackquill sold his farm to Robert Rutherford.
Cool Springs House (Front)
Along with his brother, Morgan Morgan, II, Zackquill acquired land in Bedford County, PA in 1769, but sold it in 1771. He then acquired land in Monongalia County in 1772.
The years after 1772 were busy years for everyone, but they were particularly busy for Zackquill. During this time the American Revolution was fought, of course, and he had been appointed County Lieutenant of Monongalia County. He rose to the rank of colonel and commanded a 600-man militia during the war.
Fort Morgan had been established in 1772 on the present site of Morgantown. It was one of several early forts in that area. On October 17, 1785, the Virginia Assembly chartered Morgan’s Town as it was known then. Fifty acres of Zackquill’s land was appropriated to plat the town, and he is recognized as the founder of Morgantown.
Colonel Morgan Cabin
The land was sold in half-acre lots and purchasers were required to build a small house within four years. In 1838, Morgantown was incorporated with 700 residents.
Morgan’s home served as the county seat of Monongalia County and housed the county court until a courthouse could be built in the public square. He also opened the first tavern in 1783. At the time of his death in 1795, he lived in a house on Front Street, which was later owned by his son Zackquill and his granddaughter, Drusilla. Drusilla owned the house until her death in 1904.
Once more, a native of what would become Berkeley County had influence elsewhere, and his name will be long remembered in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Colonel Morgan Cabin
Morgan Cabin, originally built 1731-34 as second home of Morgan Morgan, first white settler in West Virginia. Rebuilt with some of original logs in 1976 as a State and County Bicentennial project. it was here during the Revolution that James Morgan, the grandson of Col. Morgan Morgan, was shot and killed by a group Tories. Since then, this are has been known as Torytown.
From the posted Historical Marker...
Colonel Morgan Cabin in 1924
Morgan Morgan arrived in what is now West Virginia in 1731. In January 1734, he, among others, was appointed to the 'Commission of the Peace', meaning that he was a magistrate.