BCSD Application Process
Berkeley County Deputy Sheriff Application Process
Currently, the Berkeley County Civil Service Commission is not officially accepting applications for the position(s) of Deputy Sheriff of Berkeley County. The below information does relate to the position of applying for the position of Deputy Sheriff of Berkeley County when applications are officially accepted.
Current salary is as follows:
- $52,466 with No Experience
- $54,187 upon graduation from the WVSP Academy
- Up to $62,668 for WV Pre-Certified Officers (based on years of service)
Minimum requirements for the position are as follows:
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be between 18 and 45 years of age (WV Code)
- Must possess (at a minimum) a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be in excellent health (standard weight in proportion to height)
- No police or criminal record
- Must successfully pass all examinations administered by the Civil Service Commission
- Must successfully pass a physical agility test.
- Sit ups: 28 in one (1) minute
- Push-ups: 18 in a minute
- Run: 1 ½ miles, completed in 14:36
- Must be willing to submit to further examinations throughout the hiring process such as a Physiological evaluation and Polygraph exam
- Must pass fitness standards for acceptance to the police academy
- Must successfully pass a medical examination
- Must attend and successfully complete all training as required by the position
- Must be willing to accept duty assignments, which may include but is not limited to, K-9 Deputy, Judicial Security, School Resource Officer and all other duties assigned by the Sheriff of Berkeley County. Additional requirements are contained in the local rules and a copy may be obtained from the Civil Service Commission.
Once hired, deputies may receive a take home vehicle, if , and ONLY IF , they live within a 25 mile radius of the Berkeley County Sheriffâ€™s Department.
Berkeley County provides a comprehensive benefits package which includes hospital and medical insurance, prescription drug coverage, life insurance, dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Berkeley County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Elaine Mauck, Secretary
Berkeley County Deputy Sheriff's Civil Service Commission
Revised on: 1/20/2022